Tuesday, March 29, 2011

ethnographic landscapes.

From my home town of NYC I can hop on a bus that departs the NYC Chinatown going off to the Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington DC Chinatowns. This is a pretty unique way to link similar cultural landscapes together while conquering a topographic distance.
While I realize that in most towns and cities there are other Chinatowns, "Little Italy's", and strong Irish pride districts, I am not aware of any other ethnographic landscape that is linked together by a bus. Returning from Boston I have a new appreciation for the various Chinatown heritage interpretations there are along the Eastern seaboard.
I will be going on a studio field trip, at the end of the week, to Toronto Canada and I have been told that there is a Chinatown there as well. I am hoping if time permits it, to view the Toronto Chinatown landscape with the intention of comparing and contrasting the Chinatowns in Boston and NYC.

edit-
The trip out to Toronto, while very informative, was on too rigid a time schedule to have any daylight hours to sight see. So, I guess this thought will have to be put on the back shelf for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment