Tuesday, March 1, 2011

precedent on a macro lvl.


In this next phase of studio we looked at certain components of the Central New York food system. We divided into groups that  were to collaboratively focus on topics of the topics of the regional market, urban agriculture, and the group I was in regional food production.  Through discussion we broke regional food production down again- into separate topics of garden cities, food shed design, and suburban agriculture. We decided who in the group would be responsible for what case studies could be applied to Central New York. I decided to look at suburban agriculture.


Represented to the left is Granite Quarry in North Carolina. I made an inventory of the grocery stores with in a mile radius of the 128 acre suburban farmstead, represented in red. While a step in the right direction it is in my opinion, not the best model. It was poorly executed and if you have read one of the most recent Landscape Architecture Magazine's, the community collapsed financially.


Represented to the right is Cotorro, Cuba what I would call a better model for the Central New York area. They are currently building a farming web outside of municipalities which then feed a larger food web that goes to capital provinces. This is all in an effort to make the country food secure.



As a final synthesis of the previous precedents I applied what I learned to the local scale of Syracuse, New York. Similar to the procedure of the Granite Quarry case study; I inventoried marts that sells food. If you noticed I did not use supermarket instead I said mart. This is because this portion of Syracuse is considered a food desert. 

Syracuse also has 3,500 vacant properties, estimation highlighted in red, which can open up design opportunities by bridging disciplines.

No comments:

Post a Comment